I love food. I love cooking. Fresh food, with lots of flavours. Inspired by travels I like to share with you my favourites. Most recipes picked up from local families. I will be back soon with more of my secrecies. Stay tuned!
Sweet Kerala veggie curry
You will need:
2 tbsp coconut oil or rapeseed oil
1 big tsp black mustard seeds
1 big tsp fenugreek seeds
1 big tsp turmeric
About 12-14 curry leaves
1 thumb size piece of ginger
2 garlic cloves
6 spring onions
1 fresh red chilli
1 large bunch of coriander
2 ripe tomatoes
1 can of coconut milk
1 can of chickpeas
1/2 a juicy pineapple or a small tin of pineapple chunks and juice
The cooking bit:
In a dry pan roast the cauliflower. Put to side when slightly charred.
Than put oil in pan and add mustard and fenugreek seeds, turmeric and curry leaves.
Blender ginger, garlic, spring onions, chilli and coriander and then add to the pan. (Should give a lovely smell!)
Chop tomatoes and add to pan, pour coconut milk and drained chickpeas, pineapple chunks and their juices. Add the cauliflower and bring to boil. Once cauliflower is cooked add a squeeze of lemon juice and serve with fresh coriander.
Divine Kerala prawn curry:
This very easy to make dish will take you about 15 min to prepare and approx 10 min to cook.
You will need:
- 2 red chillies split, seeded and cut into quarters length
- 1 small red onion
- 2.5 cm root ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 14 curry leafs (fresh or dried)
- 1/2 tsp tumeric
- 1/2 tsp cracked back pepper
- 150 ml coconut milk
- a squeeze of lime and fresh coriander to serve
And then comes the cookery bit!
- Blitz the red chillies, red onion and ginger to a paste.
- Heat oil in pan, toss mustard and fenugreek seeds with the curry leaves. They will crackle and pop. Fry for 10 seconds.Add the paste, cook for 5 min (add water if needed)
- Add turmeric and cracked black peppercorns. Stir well before adding the prawns. Pour than the coconut milk and simmer for another couple of minutes.
- Add some lime juice and fresh coriander to serve. Lovely with basmati rice!
Delicious! Bon appetite